Saturday, August 28, 2010

South Boulder Peak

A few weeks ago, I talked Patrick into going on an impromptu hike and he talked me into climbing a mountain. When I was convincing him on a Sunday morning that it would be a lovely day for a hike, I thought we would do an easy jaunt that would take us about 2-3 hours. I've never been a person to summit anything. I don't care about getting to the top or working too hard... I usually just hike to be outside and enjoy the scenery. We did a little research for hikes close to our house and found some great trails just a 10 min drive away. Packed a few snacks and we were out the door.

Our hike started out leisurely enough. We crossed a bubbling river and headed into the open meadows that climbed the slope of the foothills. The trail gradually began to climb through the meadow and into the canyon. There were beautiful butterflies and wildflowers lining the trail and for a short distance the trail closely paralleled the creek coming down the slope. Once in the canyon, the trail widened and we were looking straight up at two peaks: Bear Peak and South Boulder Peak. Off to the left was a very tall spire with very brave people dangling from it. You could hear them yelling to each other and the chink of their gear. It was a steady climb to this point and we were sweating in the sun, breathing hard from the exertion and the altitude.

We stopped for a break and I ate my snack. I'd brought a snack for both of us with the assumption that's all we would need for a 2-3 hour hike. I hadn't had a lot for breakfast that morning and I was starving, even after my snack. I knew Patrick wanted to continue, so I agreed to go a little further, thinking we would turn around soon. The trail started climbing at a steeper grade and we were in the shadows of big boulders and trees. We were taking giant-steps up knee-high rocks and having to take breaks more and more, our legs and lungs burning. Me, getting dizzy from time to time because I hadn't had enough to eat but also because we were gaining altitude and my lungs were working hard. We were about a mile away from the saddle where we would choose which peak to climb and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it to the top. By this time, it would be 3 hours until I got more food (Patrick had already let me eat his snack as well) and I didn't think I could wait that long. But I told Patrick that I wanted to get to the top and that was enough... He kept me going until my mind flipped over and I no longer just wanted to, I was determined.

When we got to the saddle, we took a break and looked at the map. We'd come this far, we figured we should go for the glory and summit the higher of the 2 peaks. We headed for South Boulder Peak and it only took an additional 15 minutes to get to the top. Once at the top, we climbed out on a ledge that dropped straight down, looking out to the west. From where I sat, you could see the golden great plains stretching to the eastern horizon and the green and blue valley below to the west, undulating towards the Rocky Mountains.

My heart rate slowed, my body cooled and my hunger subsided now that I wasn't working so hard. I was able to look out and enjoy the view and really appreciate the climb. We had hiked from 5,600 ft. to 8,600 ft. in 3 miles, the last 1.25 miles being just shy of a 2,000 ft. elevation gain. Patrick, all along, knew I could make it to the top. I knew I could make it to the top if I had had a bigger breakfast... but the body is amazing and can do anything if your mind is set. I've known this for a while, but it's always good to have a refresher. We can do anything if our mind is along for the ride.

That day, we hiked 5 1/2 hours. Not the longest day of hiking I've done but a very successful day of hiking... I made it to the summit. And now I get it. From our house, from the freeway to Patrick's work, from the grocery store, from the windows at the gym you can see our mountain (we later learned it's the highest peak in the Boulder Range) and every time I think "I can't believe I climbed that." I'm ready for another summit... and maybe the next one will be a littler higher...

Climbing through the meadow at the base of the foothills.

The spire in the middle of the picture is where people were rock climbing.

Patrick relaxing at the summit.

Enjoying the view. You can see the Rocky Mountains in the background.

No comments: