Monday, November 17, 2008

Life in SoCal

Well, it's a couple weeks into November and we're still using our air conditioner, the surrounding areas are burning and we had a couple small earthquakes this morning. Oh, to live in Southern California!

This past week the temperatures were in the high 80's to mid 90's and the Santa Ana winds were blowing. We always enjoy the winds except when they lead to fires. Yesterday, when I dropped Patrick off at the skatepark and went to the gym, you could tell the air quality wasn't good due to all the fires. Just in the hour I was at the gym it got so much worse; the sun was disappearing in all the smoke and the air glowed (it is a really eerie feeling to see the sky like that). I decided I better go get Patrick because it wasn't healthy for normal people, but with Patrick's asthma, it could be so much worse. We both could feel the smoke burning our throats and even for me it felt like it was harder to breath. In the two years we've lived here, this is the worst we've ever seen. You couldn't even see the mountains that were only a mile away.

Needless to say, we went home and hide in our apartment the rest of the day, where we could breath our nice, filtered, cool air. Gotta love air conditioning, even if it does cost you a fortune in the summer down here.

*Patrick and I are sooooo excited to be going home to Oregon for Christmas. It will be wonderful to get some nice cool, clean air into our lungs.*

No comments: