Monday, October 20, 2008

Picking Pumpkins

It's that time of year and anyone who knows us, knows we love fall. Living in SoCal, though, doesn't provide for the most fall-like experience. So this last weekend, we were determined to find a little bit of our favorite season.

On Saturday, we drove 70 miles one way just to find a true pumpkin patch (one that wasn't set up in a parking lot, surrounded by a chain link fence, with inflatable ghosts). We wanted an actual farm. So, we made a day of it. We did a hayride (Patrick did it with me, even though he is allergic, because he couldn't believe I had never been on one before). We walked through the sunflower forest, which could have used a little watering, and we checked out the food stalls but didn't get anything to eat. I mean, who ever heard of shaved ice and fish tacos at a fall event. So weird. We bought 2 beautiful pumpkins that Patrick will be in charge of carving next weekend (neither of us trusts me to carve my own pumpkin and not lose a finger).

After the pumpkin patch, we decided we should go to the beach since we were only about 4 miles away. Yes, it is a weird life down here, where you can pick out pumpkins while wearing shorts and eating fish tacos and then go to the beach, all while profusely sweating. Back home, you'd be lucky if you weren't tromping through the mud to get your pumpkins. Well, I guess, you gotta get your fall where you can!
The Farm

I have a thing for cutouts. I always have to get my pic taken in it if I see one. I think Patrick was embarrassed. Ha ha!

So manly. Carrying his pumpkin on his shoulder while wearing a robot shirt.

We think these pumpkins weren't actually grown here since they look like they were just put out here in the dirt. But at least there was a barn!

Random trip to the beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny, I can't remember if you went with us, but one year when we lived in fort collins, we went to a pumpkin patch that was just a dirt field with pumpkins sitting out in it. It was definitely a farm though, so I remember being confused. I am not familiar with pumpkin harvesting techniques though so maybe they rip everything out and leave the pumpkins? I think we are going to buy pumpkins this week and carve them soon. Forget the pumpkin patch though, i think we'll go to Safeway. I'll make sure Lindsay leaves her dime on the curb though.

Only a month til we are there! Can't wait to see you guys.

Kimberly said...

Love the blog! I'm ashamed to say this is my first visit, but the Blackberry is not blog friendly. :-( The patch looks like fun and Jen - Skinny Minnie! You're looking fabulous my friend. Keep up the good work, babe! And lastly, I love the picture from high school on the top of your page. It makes me laugh to see how much you have changed and yet look the same, time has been good to you two, you are such a beautiful couple! Love you guys, Kimmy